New York and New Jersey: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
Combined exports from New York and New Jersey totaled $139.5 billion in 2021, up 34.7 percent from 2020. New York exports totaled $84.9 billion in 2021 and the export value from New Jersey was $49.5 billion. Prices for primary metal manufacturing exports decreased in May. Export prices for miscellaneous manufacturing and computer and electronic product manufacturing advanced over the same period, and export prices for chemical manufacturing remained unchanged.
Top Six New York and New Jersey Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2021
- Exports from New York and New Jersey represented 8.0 percent of the total trade dollar value of U.S. exports in 2021.
- New York and New Jersey exported 38.6 percent of the 2021 U.S. total trade dollar value of $76.8 billion for primary metal manufacturing.
- The top 6 exports from New York and New Jersey accounted for a 72.3-percent of the region's total export trade dollar value in 2021.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Primary Metal Manufacturing
- Prices for export primary metal manufacturing decreased 3.0 percent in May.
- The export price index for primary metal manufacturing advanced 10.9 percent from May 2021 to May 2022.
- The 12-month increase in the price index for primary metal manufacturing was driven by a 28.8-percent rise in prices for alumina and aluminum production and processing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Miscellaneous Manufacturing
- Export miscellaneous manufacturing prices increased 0.2 percent in May.
- Over the past year, the index for export miscellaneous manufacturing prices rose 8.4 percent.
- The 12-month rise in miscellaneous manufacturing prices was driven by a 16.4-percent increase in prices for jewelry and silverware manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports was unchanged in May.
- The index for chemical manufacturing prices advanced 3.6 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month rise in overall chemical manufacturing prices was led by a 40.3-percent increase in prices for pesticide, fertilizer, and other agricultural chemical manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 0.1 percent in May.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices advanced 3.5 percent from May 2021 to May 2022.
- The 12-month rise in computer and electronic product manufacturing prices was driven by an 8.5-percent increase in prices for computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing.
New York-New Jersey Information Office • BLSInfoNY@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-york-new-jersey/ • 646-264-3600
Last Modified Date: July 8, 2022