New York and New Jersey: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
The combined exports from New York and New Jersey totaled $99.9 billion in 2020, down 8.5 percent from the previous year. New York exported $61.9 billion in 2020 and total exports from New Jersey were $38.0 billion. Prices for primary metal manufacturing exports increased from February to May 2021. Export prices for miscellaneous manufacturing, chemical manufacturing, and computer and electronic product manufacturing prices also increased over the 3-month period.
Top Six New York and New Jersey Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2020
- New York and New Jersey exported 28.0 percent of the 2020 U.S. total trade dollar value of $57.0 billion for primary metal manufacturing.
- In 2020, exports from New York and New Jersey accounted for a 21.7-percent share of total U.S. miscellaneous manufacturing exports.
- Chemical manufacturing exports from New York and New Jersey accounted for 7.3 percent of the industry’s 2020 U.S. exports.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Primary Metal Manufacturing
- Primary metal manufacturing export prices rose 1.8 percent from January to April.
- The price index for export primary metal manufacturing advanced 24.7 percent over the past year.
- The 12-month increase in primary metal manufacturing prices was primarily driven by a 25.3-percent rise in prices for nonferrous metal (except aluminum) production and processing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Miscellaneous Manufacturing
- Prices for export miscellaneous manufacturing rose 1.8 percent from February to May.
- Miscellaneous manufacturing export prices rose 3.6 percent over the past 12 months.
- The 12-month increase in miscellaneous manufacturing export prices was driven by a 7.0 percent advance in prices for jewelry and silverware manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing rose 7.0 percent in the second quarter of 2021.
- Chemical manufacturing prices advanced 23.7 percent over the past 12 months.
- A 35.9-percent rise in prices for pesticide, fertilizer, and other agricultural chemical manufacturing led the 12-month rise in overall chemical manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 1.2 percent over the past 3 months.
- Export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices edged up 0.2 percent from June 2020 to June 2021.
- The 12-month rise in computer and electronic product manufacturing prices was driven by a 1.7-percent increase in prices for computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing.
New York-New Jersey Information Office • BLSInfoNY@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-york-new-jersey/ • 646-264-3600
Last Modified Date: August 5, 2021