Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Occupational Requirements Survey

The Occupational Requirements Survey (ORS) is a product of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The ORS provides job-related information regarding physical demands; environmental conditions; education, training, and experience; as well as cognitive and mental requirements for jobs in the U.S. economy.

Notices

  • Notice for the May 19, 2021 Chicago Data Users Conference. Read More »
  • Link to notice on the BLS page of impact on COVID-19 on ORS. Read More »

Graphics

what is it

Click the graphic to enlarge chart: what is ors.

why matters

Click the graphic to enlarge chart: why it matters.

read more »

Latest Numbers

RSS
Physical demands of civilian workers

Sedentary work strength level 27.4% in 2020 Historical Data

Light work strength level 33.4% in 2020 Historical Data

Medium work strength level 28.4% in 2020 Historical Data

Heavy work strength level 9.4% in 2020 Historical Data

Very heavy work strength level 1.3% in 2020 Historical Data

Environmental conditions of civilian workers

Exposed to outdoors 33.8% in 2020 Historical Data

Quiet noise intensity level 13.5% in 2020 Historical Data

Moderate noise intensity level 78.5% in 2020 Historical Data

Loud noise intensity level 7.8% in 2020 Historical Data

Education, training, and experience of civilian workers

No minimum education requirement 29.7% in 2020 Historical Data

High school diploma education requirement 40.4% in 2020 Historical Data

Associate's degree education requirement 4.3% in 2020 Historical Data

Bachelor's degree education requirement 18.5% in 2020 Historical Data

Master's degree education requirement 2.6% in 2020 Historical Data

Professional degree education requirement 1.4% in 2020 Historical Data

Doctorate degree education requirement -% in 2020 Historical Data

Cognitive and mental requirements of civilian workers

Interaction with the general public 77.3% in 2020 Historical Data

Varying work pace 57.5% in 2020 Historical Data

Telework available 9.0% in 2020 Historical Data

read more »

News Releases

Civilian workers spend 4.25 hours of the workday standing in 2020

12/22/2020

Civilian workers spent 4.25 hours of the workday standing in 2020. Workers in healthcare practitioners and technical occupations spent 5.47 hours standing in the workday and workers in healthcare support occupations spent 5.04 hours standing.
HTML | PDF | RSS


Next Release

The Occupational Requirements Survey (ORS) for 2021 is scheduled to be released in late 2021 at 10:00 A.M. Eastern Time.

Publications

Beyond the Numbers

Beyond the Numbers article image

Minds at work: what’s required according to the Occupational Requirements Survey

How much problem-solving time goes into an architect’s job? What types of mental capabilities are required of employees who work in a telework environment? What types of interpersonal skills are required for customer service jobs? Mental and cognitive job requirements provide job seekers with important information on the soft skills needed for specific jobs and a sense of the demands of different occupations read more »

The Economics Daily

The Economics Daily article image

Civilian workers spent an average of 57.3 percent of the workday standing in 2020

Civilian workers spent an average of 4.25 hours of the workday standing in 2020. Workers stood for 57.3 percent of the workday and sat for the remaining 42.7 percent. read more »

Spotlight on Statistics

Spotlight on Statistics article image

Using BLS Data to Match People with Disabilities with Jobs

BLS has many data products that can be used to help individuals with disabilities plan their career paths. This Spotlight on Statistics highlights these products and demonstrates how they can be used to evaluate potential jobs, using two specific occupations as examples. read more »