The National Compensation Survey (NCS) provides comprehensive measures of compensation cost trends and the coverage, costs, and provisions of employer-sponsored benefits in the United States. This bulletin presents 2017 estimates of the detailed benefit provisions of employer-sponsored health and retirement plans in private industry by various worker and establishment characteristics.
These estimates are also accessible from the National Compensation Survey – Benefits database, available at www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/data.htm. The database contains additional estimates of detailed benefit provisions in private industry in 2017 not included as part of this bulletin:
- Health benefits detailed provisions
- Fee-for-service plans: annual individual and family deductibles, coinsurance percentages, annual individual and family out-of-pocket maximums, and other selected features;
- Health maintenance organizations: annual individual and family out-of-pocket maximums, and other selected features;
- High deductible health plans: with tax favored accounts (health savings account, health reimbursement arrangement, or flexible spending account), and annual individual deductible;
- Non-high deductible health plans: with tax favored accounts (health reimbursement arrangement or flexible spending account), and annual individual deductible; and
- Outpatient prescription drug benefits: types of coverage, generic drug limits, and brand-name drug limits.
- Retirement benefits detailed provisions
- Defined benefit plans: plan sponsor, vesting requirements, and integration with Social Security;
- Traditional defined benefit plans: normal retirement age and service requirements, early retirement service requirements and reductions, terminal earnings period definitions, maximum credited service, lump-sum benefits, and postretirement survivor benefits;
- Defined contribution plans: plan sponsor;
- Savings and thrift plans: eligibility requirements, employee and employer contribution features, investment choices for employee and employer funds;
- Deferred profit-sharing plans: employee and employer contribution features, and benefits distribution methods; and
- Money purchase pension plans: employee and employer contribution features, and benefits distribution methods.
Estimates for prior years and other benefits publications are available from the benefits homepage at www.bls.gov/ebs.
U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) staff designed the survey, collected and reviewed the survey data, and prepared survey estimates for publication. The survey could not have been conducted without the cooperation of the many private businesses that provided benefits data. BLS thanks these respondents for their cooperation.
For more information on benefits estimates, contact NCS staff by phone at (202) 691–6199 or by email. Information is made available to sensory-impaired individuals upon request (Voice phone: (202) 691–5200; Federal Relay Service: 1 (800) 877–8339). Data requests also may be sent to U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Division of Compensation Data Analysis and Planning, 2 Massachusetts Avenue NE, Room 4160, Washington, DC 20212.
Material in this publication is in the public domain and, with appropriate credit, may be reproduced without permission.
Last Modified Date: May 15, 2018