This page contains the documentation for the CE public-use microdata (PUMD).
- Considerations When Using the Public-use Microdata discusses considerations when preparing and interpreting estimates with PUMD.
- Survey materials lists the documents used to collect data for the Interview Survey and the Diary Survey.
- Hierarchical groupings (zip) includes a description of each UCC along with its hierarchical standing within each expenditure or income category for a given year. Hierarchical groupings are not available for years prior to 1996. For years 1996 and forward, three file types are available:
- Source selection file (XLSX) identifies the survey source for the characteristics, expenditure, and income items in the CE tables. Information on source selection is available starting with 1996.
- Description of income imputation provides information on the methods the CE program uses to estimate income starting in 2004.
- Protection of respondent confidentiality provides information on the methods the CE surveys use to protect the confidentiality of respondents.
- Errata provide information on the errors and their correction in the files of a particular year.
Last Modified Date: January 16, 2020