This page contains documentation for the public-use microdata (PUMD) for years after 1996. Documentation for 1996 forward are below and for years prior on a USB flash drive for purchase (PDF). The documentation falls into two major types: Documentation that covers all years and documentation that covers one particular year. If you are new to CE PUMD data, you may want to explore the Getting Started Guide.
Documents covering all years
Documents covering specific years
- Documentation of the content and methods for the data collected with the Interview Survey and Diary Survey. An asterisk after the word "Documentation", indicates that the documentation for the given year includes information on topcoding, response rates, errata, or other changes to the data.
- Data dictionaries list the variables, explanations, data flags, and data formats. The "Interview Survey dictionary" and "Diary Survey dictionary" are in PDF. The combined dictionary covers both surveys in an Access database. Before 2007, the dictionaries are included in the respective documentation.
- Hierarchical groupings lists the relation between the summary variables and their contributing variables as they are used in the
published tables. Integrated stub (IntStub) lists the variables as BLS integrates them from the Interview and Diary Survey. Interview stub (IStub) lists the variables from the Interview Survey and Diary stub (DStub) from the Diary Survey. Before 2002, the documents contain a listing of Universal Classification Codes (UCCs), grouped by expenditure type, to define the summarized categories of the aggregated series in the published tables. The IntStub lists UCCs, along with an indicator identifying which survey (Interview or Diary) a value came from. The IStub lists UCCs from the Interview Survey and DStub from the Diary Survey. Before 2002, the documents contain an abbreviated hierarchy. PUSUMVARS provides a summary of key variables.
- Sample code provides code in SAS, STATA, and R to prepare annual averages using the data in the Interview Survey, Diary Survey, or both surveys (called "Integrated") and the results. For SAS for some years, BLS also provides logs, macros to analyze the data, and an explanation of the macros.
- Resources provide the forms for the Interview survey. From 2004, CE used the Computer Assisted Personal Interview (CAPI) for the Interview Survey and the Computer Assisted Diary Household Characteristics Questionnaire (CADHCQ) for the Diary Survey. Before 2004, CE used paper forms. "UCC titles" lists the universal classification codes for products and income categories with their descriptions. "CAPIVEH" lists the codes for vehicle types.
- Errata provide information on the errors and their correction in the files of a particular year.
Please see the instructions on how to download zip files. If the information is not accessible to you due to a disability, please email us.